Lovers and Madmen
"Lovers and Madmen have such seething brains, such shaping fantasies, that apprehend more than cool reason ever comprehends."-William Shakespeare (A Midsummer Night's Dream)
Lovers & Madmen is a student theatre organization at Northwestern University that produces a full season of classical and classically-inspired works each year. We seek to serve the NU, Evanston, and Chicago communities with our mainstage season, as well as other smaller-scale productions, readings, and events. We are also committed to outreach, educational programming, and keeping in touch with our alumni.
Lovers & Madmen is open to all to wish to participate. We encourage anyone interested, regardless of previous experience or skill level, to get involved! The Executive Board takes on new members through petitions which occur in Fall and Spring. We select producers and directors for our season through petitions which happen in Spring. Positions on the Executive Board or as a producer or director are unfortunately limited and these petition processes are competitive. We always see far more wonderful, qualified people than we can accept. One can also be involved in our productions as an actor (Audition with Early Fall, Winter, and/or Spring Generals) or as a production team member (Email our friendly producers). We also are interested in working with artists who have ideas for smaller-scale projects ("Special Events"). We accept and produce these ideas on a rolling basis based on the project's artistic merit, relevance to our season and mission, and what we have the resources for.
In addition to a stock of standard (4x8) platforms and flats, L&M has a large assortment of costumes and props available for rental. Inquiries regarding set pieces, costumes, and props may be directed to Doug Pinckney and Noah Watkins, at .
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or just want to say hello, please contact us at ! Additionally, check us out on Facebook!
2016-2017 Mainstage Season
Fall Shanley: Cardenio; October 6-8
- Produced by Gracie Brakeman
- Directed by Adam Orme
Winter Louis: White Snake ; February 23-25
- Produced by Ele Hagermoser
- Directed by Tatiana Dalton
Spring Shanley: Oedipus el Rey ; April 20-22
- Produced by Devyn Johnson
- Directed by Camille Casmier
2016-2017 Special Events
Have an idea for a special event? Email this year's Special Events Director, Adam Orme, at firstname.lastname@example.org to start the conversation!
2016-2017 Executive Board
- Eloia Peterson - Executive Director
- Matthew Bentley - Artistic Director
- Casey Norlin - Business Manager
- Gustavo Berrizbeitia - Production Manager
- Noah Watkins - Technical Director
- Doug Pinckney - Technical Director
- Bryana Barry - Stage Management Director
- Michael Moravcsik - Publicity Director
- Nicole Bauke - Co-Outreach Chair
- Caroline Chu - Co-Outreach Chair
- Jackson Simpson - Education Director
- Adam Orme - Special Events Director
- Ele Hagermoser - Development Director
- Juliet Wolfe - Company Manager
- Preston Choi - Literary Manager