Sit and Spin Productions
Sit & Spin Productions exists to expand the definition of theatre at Northwestern University by giving artists opportunities to explore unconventional, risk-taking works. We promote new approaches to existing material, adapted or original work, and site-specific theatre. We are dedicated to providing administrative, artistic, and production support for all aspects of our season.
History of Sit & Spin
In the mild, rainy spring of 2001, Northwestern University senior Krissy Vanderwalker decided to direct a play. "Picasso at the Lapin Agile" opened on May 11th, 2001, and Sit & Spin Productions was born!
Krissy graduated a month later, but encouraged her friends, Jenn Arrington and Julia Kirkman, to continue the group. In the fall of 2001, the Sit & Spin co-founders recruited a group of enthusiastic freshman: Vanessa Evans, Nicole Hand and Jackie Chi.
Disaster nearly struck when the co-founders were stricken with "senioritis" and quit the group! The freshman girls, determined not to let their group die, vowed to press on and successfully produced Sit & Spin's first two full seasons essentially on their own.
In the fall of 2003, relief arrived when the board expanded with the addition of new freshmen (including the first two males on Sit & Spin ever) and friends of the existing board members. Since then, Sit & Spin has continued to grow in leaps and bounds:
- September 2004 - Sit & Spin expands its season to include a fourth mainstage production.
- May 2005 - Sit & Spin acquires a storage and build garage. The first item to be stored is the set of 2005's Champions.
- September 2005 - Sophomore Philip Markle breaks his arm during a performance of The Royal Family.
- November 2005 - Hedwig and the Angry Inch becomes Sit & Spin's most-attended and highest-grossing production ever, breaking the record set in 2003 by The Marriage of Bette & Boo.
- April 2006 - Sit & Spin's website goes live!
- May 2006 - Hedwig and the Angry Inch wins "Best Student Theatre Production" at Northwestern's annual Student Recognition Banquet. Travis Greisler (a.k.a. "Hedwig") accepts the award.
- November 2006 - The Rocky Horror Show beats Hedwig to become Sit & Spin's most-attended and highest-grossing production ever. It is also one of the most-attended and highest-grossing productions ever held in Shanley Pavilion.
- Today, the Sit & Spin board members enjoy playing with their Sit & Spin toy .
- Rumors persist, however, that the inspiration for the group's name was not so innocent . . .
Sit & Spin's Season
- New Student Week: The Wiz
September 27-29, 2012 ⋅ Shanley Pavilion
- Produced by Austin James
- Directed by John Allman
- Fall Mainstage: Kafka on the Shore
December 6-8, 2012 ⋅ Louis Room
- Produced by Grace Gabel
- Directed by Daphne Kim and Sammy Zeisel
- Winter Outreach: Language of Angels
February 7-9, 2012 ⋅ Shanley Pavilion
- Produced by Catherine McGee
- Directed by Natalie Houchins
- Spring Site-Specific: This
Dates TBA ⋅ Location TBA
- Produced by Gracie Schwartzenberger
- Directed by Mallory Moser
- Fall Special Event-Sit & Spin Goes to the Movies: A Stage Reading of Stars Wars Episode I
November 1, 2012 ⋅ Jones Great Room
- Directed by Will Sonheim
- Spring Special Event: Sit & Spin Stand Up 7
Dates TBA ⋅ Location TBA
2013-2014 Executive Board
- Brandon Powers, Executive Director
- A.J. Roy, Business Manager
- Abby Pajakowski, Production Manager
- Scott Wolf, Directing Chair
- Jessie Klueter, Company Manager
- Justine Gelfman, Technical Director
- Gianna Petrosino, Technical Director
- Lena Krause, Outreach Coordinator
- Becca Maier, Marketing Brand Manager
- Ari Shapiro, Communications Director
- Natalie Robinson, Special Events Coordinator
- Sam Douglas, Development Director
- Natalie C. Houchins, Archivist
- Francesca Mennella, International Relations Chair
2012-2013 Executive Board
- Tracy Smith, Executive Director
- Brandon Powers, Business Manager
- Kendra Vaculin, Production Manager
- Abby Pajakowski, Directing Chair
- Bob Kalas, Company Manager
- Francesca Mennella, Technical Manager
- Scott Wolf, Special Events Coordinator
- Ari Shapiro, Technical Director
- Natalie Robinson, Technical Director
- A.J. Roy, Development Director
- Becca Maier, Marketing Director
- Lena Krause, Outreach Chair
- Sam Douglas, Freshman Board Representative
- Jessie Klueter, Freshman Board Representative
You can contact the entire executive board at once by emailing . For information about borrowing or renting Sit & Spin equipment, see the Sit & Spin Resources page.