Sit and Spin Productions
Sit & Spin Productions exists to expand the definition of theatre at Northwestern University by giving artists opportunities to explore unconventional, risk-taking works. We promote new approaches to existing material, adapted or original work, and site-specific theatre. We are dedicated to providing administrative, artistic, and production support for all aspects of our season.
History of Sit & Spin
In the mild, rainy spring of 2001, Northwestern University senior Krissy Vanderwalker decided to direct a play. "Picasso at the Lapin Agile" opened on May 11th, 2001, and Sit & Spin Productions was born!
Krissy graduated a month later, but encouraged her friends, Jenn Arrington and Julia Kirkman, to continue the group. In the fall of 2001, the Sit & Spin co-founders recruited a group of enthusiastic freshman: Vanessa Evans, Nicole Hand and Jackie Chi.
Disaster nearly struck when the co-founders were stricken with "senioritis" and quit the group! The freshman girls, determined not to let their group die, vowed to press on and successfully produced Sit & Spin's first two full seasons essentially on their own.
In the fall of 2003, relief arrived when the board expanded with the addition of new freshmen (including the first two males on Sit & Spin ever) and friends of the existing board members. Since then, Sit & Spin has continued to grow in leaps and bounds:
- September 2004 - Sit & Spin expands its season to include a fourth mainstage production.
- May 2005 - Sit & Spin acquires a storage and build garage. The first item to be stored is the set of 2005's Champions.
- September 2005 - Sophomore Philip Markle breaks his arm during a performance of The Royal Family.
- November 2005 - Hedwig and the Angry Inch becomes Sit & Spin's most-attended and highest-grossing production ever, breaking the record set in 2003 by The Marriage of Bette & Boo.
- April 2006 - Sit & Spin's website goes live!
- May 2006 - Hedwig and the Angry Inch wins "Best Student Theatre Production" at Northwestern's annual Student Recognition Banquet. Travis Greisler (a.k.a. "Hedwig") accepts the award.
- November 2006 - The Rocky Horror Show beats Hedwig to become Sit & Spin's most-attended and highest-grossing production ever. It is also one of the most-attended and highest-grossing productions ever held in Shanley Pavilion.
- Today, the Sit & Spin board members enjoy playing with their Sit & Spin toy .
- Rumors persist, however, that the inspiration for the group's name was not so innocent . . .
Sit & Spin's Season
2014-2015 Mainstage Productions
- New Student Week: The Pillowman
September 18-20, 2014 ⋅ Shanley Pavilion
- Produced by Jacob Trauberman
- Directed by Ford Altenbern
- Fall Cahn: The Great and Terrible Doctor Faustus
December 1-3, 2014 ⋅ Cahn Auditorium
- Produced by Samantha Mueller
- Directed by Alex Benjamin
- Winter Partnership: Shoot/Get Treasure/Repeat
February 19-21, 2015 ⋅ Shanley Pavilion
- Produced by Ben Rotter
- Directed by Jared Sprowls
- Spring Site-Specific: Mercury Fur
Date TBA, 2015
- Produced by Alana Basil
- Directed by Michael Rogerson
2014-2015 Executive Board
- A.J. Roy, Executive Director
- Sam Douglas, Business Manager
- Ari Shapiro, Production Manager
- Jessie Klueter, Directing Chair
- Gianna Petrosino, Stage Management Chair
- Francesca Mennella, Partnership Coordinator
- Linnea Hodge, Technical Director
- Samantha Spoll, Technical Director
- Joan Sergay, Marketing Brand Manager
- Justine Gelfman, Communications Director
- Cemre Paksoy, Special Events Coordinator
- Michelle Schechter, Development Director
- Natalie Robinson, Archivist
For more information, please visit http://sitandspin.info.
You can contact the entire executive board at once by emailing . For information about borrowing or renting Sit & Spin equipment, see the Sit & Spin Resources page.